Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Donuts from Biscuit Dough

When Lily and I were watching a taped segment of Paula Deen’s Home Cooking, we saw a recipe we couldn’t resist.

Ever since they closed the Dunkin’ Donuts shop on the west side of town, we tend to crave donuts a little more than usual simply because they aren’t as easily available as they used to be.

Paula made quick and easy donuts with plain old buttermilk biscuit dough. You know, the kind you find in a can at the supermarket. We used Pillsbury Grand’s Buttermilk Biscuit Dough. I have to admit that while they don’t quite taste like Dunkin’s, they make a great substitute.

While I was preparing the Carnitas Dinner, Lily and Brian made the donuts. (“It’s time to make the donuts.” Remember that commercial?)

I was impressed. They prepared everything before hand. They melted some strawberry frosting I had in the pantry by micro waving it for a few seconds and made the chocolate glaze.

They heated the peanut oil in our fry daddy and went to work. Once the donuts had drained a bit over paper towels, they dipped them in the two glazes and as you can see even got creative with some drizzle effects. Not bad for a couple of college students. They fried up the donut holes as well and started munching on them while I finished dinner.

Try the recipe and see if you think they measure up to old Dunkin.
Canned Biscuit Dough Donuts and Holes
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Ingredients
Peanut oil, for frying
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar

Icings:
2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
5 tablespoons milk, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cans large buttermilk biscuits
Colored sprinkles
Chocolate sprinkles

Directions
Heat 2 inches peanut oil in a large pot or Dutch oven to 350 degrees F. (We used a fryer.)
In a shallow bowl, stir together the ground cinnamon and sugar and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup of confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons of milk and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, set aside. This is the vanilla icing. In another bowl, whisk together 1 cup of confectioners' sugar, 1/4 cup of cocoa powder and 3 tablespoons of milk (the kids added some cinnamon and a teaspoon of almond flavoring) and set aside. This is the (Mexican)chocolate icing.

Lay out the biscuits on a cutting board and with a 1 1/2-inch round cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out a hole from the middle of each biscuit. Fry them in the oil until golden and then flip with tongs to fry the other side. You can even fry the donut holes. Drain on paper towels and then toss in the cinnamon-sugar or ice and decorate with sprinkles, as desired

6 comments:

Reeni said...

They look scrumptious!! Just as good or better than Dunkin Donuts!

Anonymous said...

Ooo, donuts! They look gorgeous! Great recipe for making them!

Chef E said...

Oh, I know they closed down in Dallas when I was a teenager, and we never could find good doughnuts after that! Now I live in Dunkin Doughnut heaven...thank goodness I will not stop...even for them now, but homemade ones are so delish on here!!!

♥peachkins♥ said...

OMG! Those donuts are mouthwatering!

Deb in Hawaii said...

My Mom made these for use when I was little with a maple glaze. You just made me crave them again. (I think I am happy I have no canned bicuits in my house!) ;-)

Unknown said...

OMG!!! Looks so delish! My son has wanted to make donuts for so long! We will have to try! You are the best, chica!!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online