Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Are You In the Mood for Some Chocolate?


Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate para ti.
Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate para mi!


I found this chocolate at the World Market last Sunday and couldn't wait to get home just to smell it. Bob kept giving me the eye in warning not to rip open the package before we got out of the store.


LINDT Chocolate
in Cherry and Chili Flavor. How cool is that?

My mind was going 100 miles an hour concocting all the various recipes I could use this piece of heaven in. Would I make an Aztec type cocoa drink? How about using it as a ganache? So many ways to use it, so little time.

Then, before walkng out of the store, I found the other LINDT. This one just chocolate and red chili peppers. OMG. By this time I'm going nuts. OK. I was determined to get home and develop my game plan. But stuff happens and here we are, just showing you pictures of this luscious and decadent chocolate.

So, now I've got two delicious bits of chocolate and I've got an idea how I'm going to use them. BUT, you'll have to wait until tomorrow for those pictures. Instead, I'll leave you with a wonderful recipe for Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream I found from another blogger, Amy Wisniewski.
Go to Chow to see a wonderful blog about all things food and beverage related.

Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream
Makes: 8 servings (6 cups)
By Amy Wisniewski

This ice cream refuses to be classified—it tastes at once like rich gelato and icy sorbet. Milk chocolate flavors eggy custard for a doubly rich ice cream that then gets spiked with canela and coffee-flavored tequila liqueur.
What to buy: Canela can be found in gourmet groceries, at Latin markets, or online. If you have trouble finding it, you can substitute regular cinnamon.
Patrón XO Café is a coffee-flavored tequila liqueur from the makers of Patrón tequila. If you can’t find it, go ahead and substitute another coffee-flavored liqueur like Kahlúa.
Game plan: The ice cream base (unfrozen ice cream) can be made up to 2 days in advance, though it needs 3 to 4 hours to harden in the freezer after it’s been processed (unless, of course, you want soft-serve). Ice cream will keep in the freezer for 1 week.

INGREDIENTS
· 2 cups whole milk
· 1 cup heavy cream
· 1/3 cup granulated sugar
· 1 (4-inch) canela stick
· 6 large egg yolks
· 8 ounces milk chocolate, coarsely chopped (about 1 heaping cup)
· 1/3 cup Patrón XO Café (or other coffee-flavored liqueur)
INSTRUCTIONS
1. Prepare an ice water bath by filling a bowl halfway with ice and water; set aside.
2. Combine milk, cream, half of the sugar, and canela in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
3. Meanwhile, whisk together remaining sugar and egg yolks until pale yellow. Once milk mixture is hot, slowly pour half of milk mixture into egg mixture, whisking constantly. Pour milk and egg mixture back into the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until it is as viscous as melted ice cream and coats the back of a spoon, about 10 to 15 minutes. (When you draw your finger across the spoon, it should make a mark through the custard.)
4. Remove from heat, add chocolate, and whisk until chocolate is melted and custard is smooth. Whisk in coffee liqueur. Strain into a large heatproof bowl and place ice cream base over ice water bath to chill, about 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Once ice cream base is cold, cover and place in the refrigerator to chill completely, at least 3 hours or overnight. Once chilled, freeze in an ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

6 comments:

chumly said...

Man that really sounds gooood.

Gloria Chadwick said...

Teresa, I'm always in the mood for chocolate! I can just see you dancing with joy and clutching your chocolate close to your heart in the aisles of the World Market. LOL :)

Finla said...

Yummy delicious.
I don't care what they call it, i would love to have few scopps of it

Anonymous said...

I love chocolate so I love these recipes. Thanks for the message on Left Over Queen forum, if you need some english translation of my italian recipes let me know. No problem in helping you.

Megan said...

Love the ice cream but I cant wait to see what you do with the chocolate. Let's see, you bought it last Sunday, today is Thursday, mine would of been so gone by now. ;)

Reeni said...

You make me want to run out to the store now in search of those lindt chocolates, how yummy!! I agree with Megan I would of devoured that by now!!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online